Tiarnán and Fionn inspecting the carrots they have picked for the carrot cake.
Butter (for greasing)
125g (4 ½ oz) whole meal flour
125g (4 ½ oz) self-raising flour
2 teaspoons ground mixed spice
250g (9oz) light muscovado sugar
250g (9oz) Carrots (peeled & grated)
4 free range eggs
200mls (7 floz) sunflower oil
125g (4 ½ oz) cream cheese
25g (1 oz) butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g icing sugar (sieved)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C(fan)/390f/gas mark 6 Lightly grease a 20cm (8in) square cake tin and then carefully line the base with baking paper.
2. Sieve both types of flour into a bowl, adding any bran left in the sieve. Stir in the mixed spice, sugar and carrots until they are thoroughly combined.
3. Crack the eggs into a jug. Use a fork to lightly beat them together. Then pour the eggs into the bowl with the flour mixture.
4. Add the oil and then stir until all the ingredients are mixed together. Pour the mixture into the tin and smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
5. Bake the cake for 50-60 minutes until it is risen and golden. You may need to cover the top of the cake with tin foil for the last 20mins, if it has browned too quickly. Remove it from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out.
6. Carefully turn the cake out on to a cooling rack.
7. Put the cream cheese and icing sugar into a bowl and beat together until smooth and creamy. Stir in the vanilla extract. Put the icing in the fridge for 15 minutes to harden slightly. When the cake has completely cooled spread the icing over the cake and smooth using a palette knife.
8. If desired sprinkle with some chopped walnuts.