Father's Day

My Dad has been a wonderful influence on me, throughout my life. I was blessed to grow up with two very loving and caring parents, each of whom I had an amazing bond with, yet both had very different approaches to parenting. With just a whisper in an ear and an angelic smile, I was well aware that the possibilities of making plans go my own way was always on the cards, when Dad was around. The topic of fathers entered a chat recently with friends and the similarities between the role that our fathers played in the home was indefinitely comparable. These were hard working men, that may not of changed nappies or cooked dinners yet still played a most significant part in the rearing of us, as children. My Dad always was, and still is, ever generous in his time to share a story. Many a lesson was taught to me through a tale of times gone by. The role of the father has dramatically changed over the last 20 years. In most homes both parents now work, outside the home and this in turn results in a more evenly divide of household chores and caring for the children, so the 'softer parent' may not always be the dad!
Myself & my Dad, Christmas 1986.
 Father's are pretty important people, as they help to mould us into the adults we become. Father's day is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the role of the father and to thank them for the part they play in our lives. It's easy to surcome to the hectic schedules of daily life, but it's essential to stop and appreciate what life has on offer for us, and nothing is more important than the presence of family and friends in our lives. Time undoubtedly is better spent when shared with a loved one. Losing my mother to Cancer was certainly the most devastating thing to ever happen to me, but with that loss came a huge reality to never take for granted a moment spent with a loved one, no matter how that time is spent. My dad is still a huge part of my life and I'm grateful that he's also a wonderfully positive influence on my children's lives. He shares dinner with us each day and when I hear him entertaining them, with stories of old and mystical tales of the land I'm instantly transported to my childhood, sitting at the fireplace totally engrossed in every word he cared to share. Whatever way you choose to celebrate this Father's day, treasure the time spent and enjoy making beautiful memories for you and your children to cherish for years to come.

6 Comments:

Sue/the view from great island said...

Thanks for an inspiring post, and a hilarious photo! I think I'll go write to my dad now...

Lisa McGee said...

What a lovely post Nessa. Delightful photograph of the two of you too!

Magali said...

Thank you Nessa for a truly lovely post... I wish my son had met my dad too, words can never fully convey the experience...

Nessa Robins said...

How lovely, Sue! I'm sure he will be thrilled to hear from you.

Thanks Lisa. He was always a messer!

Glad you enjoyed the post, Magali.I feel exactly the same way about my Mam and my last two children. x

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Beautiful post Nessa, and I love the photo. You are so right in the importance of dads and how they help mold our personalities.

Sadly my dad passed away 25 years ago, he was only 57, and I still miss him, he had a great sense of humor too. I'm so happy that you are able to have dinner with your dad every evening, what I wouldn't give for just one more dinner with dad. This year was particularly difficult, because we lost mom 9 months ago.

What was nice to see this past Father's Day was my brother's and brother-in-laws, and what loving daddy's they are.

Have a wonderful week!

Nessa Robins said...

I'm sorry to hear that your Dad passed away so young. It really is unexplainable as to why some are taken in the prime of their life. It has been a tough year for you. I hope you are keeping well and are surrounded by loved ones.
Nessa x