St. Patrick's Day Irish Oaty Cookies

I'm very proud to be Irish and have always celebrated St. Patrick's day with much affection.  It's the one day that is completely dedicated to appreciating our heritage and celebrating where we've originated from. I always feel it's important to highlight how wonderful Ireland can be to the rest of the world and when better to do this than on St. Patrick's Day. After-all it's a day that so many worldwide will claim to have some sort of an Irish heritage.
 In recent years there seems to be a greater focus on just how wonderful Irish food really is. We are privileged in Ireland to have an abundance of passionate farmers and food producers who provide us with quality products, which are going from strength to strength in the worldwide markets and are steadily being recognised amongst the best in the world. One product that has been making the headlines recently for breaking the American market is the perfectly produced Kilbeggan Organic Oats. A consistently good porridge is always guaranteed, but I've also found these oats, to make particularly impeccable flapjacks or a treat that my children are rather partial to are these oaty cookies. The combination of wholesome oats, along with creamy Irish butter gives a scrumptious base to these cookies. They are lovely plain or even dipped in a little melted chocolate, but especially for St Patrick's day these cookies look most suitable drizzled with a little green icing. 


Irish Oaty Cookies

Ingredients
200g butter, softened
100g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g self-raising flour
150g porridge oats
Topping
100g icing sugar, sieved
2 tbsp water
drop of green food colouring

Method
1.  Pre-heat the oven to 180C(fan)/200C/Gas Mark 6.
2. Place the softened butter, sugar and vanilla extract  into a bowl and cream together until it is light and fluffy.
3. Sieve in the flour and combine. Stir in the oats, combine and bring the dough together.
4. Divide the dough into walnut sized balls. Press each dough ball with a fork, to slightly flatten each raw cookie.
5. Place on baking trays and cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. 
6. Transfer to a wire rack and cool before icing.
6. Make the icing by placing the sieved icing sugar into a bowl and slowly add the water until the icing is combined. Add a small drop of food colouring and stir well. Drizzle over each of the cooled cookies.
................................................................................................................
I am still collecting nappies for Belarus and will be at Moate community centre car park between 11 and 11.30am Saturday, 16th March. 
................................................................................................................
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

4 Comments:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I do love oaty cookies and the shamrocks are adorable. My wee boy made some white chocolate and peppermint truffles for St Patricks Day. They are green on the inside and have a white coat, courtesy of icing sugar. We aren't Irish, but it is such good fun. My post is over on the Baby Centre UK blog page if you wanted to have a look.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

This Irish-American lass is also very proud of her heritage! Would you believe I even have twin brothers named Pat & Mike! I'm even happier that I was able to visit Ireland once & hope to visit again in the near future with my husband, who is entitled to gain his Irish citizenship because his grandparents are from Ireland!

Your cookies look delicious, I especially love the "wild" design in addition to the shamrock! LOL!! I wonder who did those!

I'm going to keep a look out for those oats, as I love oats & I like to buy organic whenever possible or affordable

Sláinte!

Nessa Robins said...

I'll certainly have a look at your recipe, Jacqueline. They sound good!

Thanks so much, Mary. I hope you can pick up some Kilbeggan Oats. They really are fantastic. When you and your husband are taking that trip do drop me a line. I could help advise you on where to visit while here.
Enjoy the weekend!

nomzam said...

Hi all, Happy Easter and Good Friday. These St.Patrick's cookies looks yum. Um ST.Pat day is over but I a thinking to make them for easter. Thanks for the lovely recipe.
Kitchen Gadgets