Child-Friendly Tiramisu


As a child I loved coffee, and to this day I still adore it. Even though it wouldn't necessarily be a drink of choice I would offer to my own little ones, one of my boys is particularly drawn to coffee-scented treats and cakes. As a traditional tiramisu recipe calls for raw eggs, alcohol and strong coffee, I decided to try out a child-friendly version. The result was delicious, and it turned out to be a great hit with my coffee-loving young man. This tiramisu can be divided between six glasses or alternatively assembled in one large bowl. It would be the perfect dessert if catering to a large gathering when you are hoping to please both old and young palates, or maybe just make it as a weekend treat. 

Ingredients 
2 tbsp decaf coffee granules 
1 tbsp brown sugar 
300ml recently boiled water 
50ml cream 
250g mascarpone 
1 tbsp vanilla extract 
50g icing sugar 
120g sponge fingers 
2 tsp cocoa powder 
25g milk chocolate 

Method 
  1. To a jug, add the coffee granules and brown sugar. Top up with 300ml of recently boiled water. Stir to combine and place to one side to cool completely before using. 
  2. Place the cream, mascarpone, vanilla extract and icing sugar in a large bowl. Whisk together until well combined and the mixture has the consistency of whipped cream. 
  3. Add a spoonful of the creamy mixture to the bottom of each of the glasses. 
  4. Place the cooled coffee into a shallow dish. Break each of the sponge fingers into four and quickly dip them into the coffee, allowing some coffee to soak in, but be careful that the fingers don't get soggy. Add a layer of soaked biscuits to each glass. Add some more of the creamy mixture. Dust over a thin layer of cocoa powder. Repeat with another layer of sponges and finish with a layer of the creamy mixture. Dust generously with cocoa powder. 
  5. Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight. Before serving, roughly grate a layer of chocolate over each tiramisu. Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Donna OShaughnessy said...

My father would make us "kid coffee" made of his coffee, and mostly milk with lots of sugar. We felt very special to be drinking this with him on a Sunday morning. I now make kid coffee for my grandkids with our fresh raw milk and home grown honey. The tiramisu looks fantastic. I'll have to give it a while soon. Thanks Nessa, my hubbie and I here in Illinois eat your scones (from your cook book) at least once a week.

Nessa Robins said...

I'm so delighted to hear you're still cooking from the book. Those scones are one of my own favourites too! Your 'kid coffee' sounds delicious, Donna. Lucky grandkids!