Beef Stew with Red Wine and Cranberry



In 2007 I won a recipe competition with Super Valu as part of their real food programme. It was this beef stew that I entered and I still make this dish. It is similar to a bourguignon with some added sweetness from the cranberry sauce. The addition of the fresh cranberries is optional and if making this around Christmas it is very apt to add the cranberries.

I would recommend Knorr Stock Pot for the beef stock. I often make chicken stock with leftover carcasses, however, I have to say that I wouldn't really make beef stock. I find any of the Knorr Stock Pots produce a full flavoured stock but, like all stock cubes, they are very high in salt and should be used sparingly.
I love the smell of this stew as it simmers for a couple of hours. Like all stews, the flavour develops better when left refrigerated overnight.

Beef Stew with Red Wine and Cranberry

Ingredients
50g flour
sea salt and black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
900g (2lbs) sirloin steak, cubed
3 onions, sliced into rings
270ml (1/2 pint) red wine
270ml (1/2 pint) beef stock
3 tbsp cranberry sauce
A handful of fresh cranberries (optional)

Method
1. Combine the flour with the salt and pepper.
2. Toss the steak in the seasoned flour.
3. Heat the oil in a pan and add the beef. Fry until brown and remove to a plate.
4. Add a little more oil and fry the onions.
5. Return the beef to the pan and then add the wine and stock.
6. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 1.5 hours.
7. Stir in the cranberry sauce and cranberries. Simmer for another 10 mins.
8. Serve piping hot with creamy mash and green beans.

1 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Any recipes for quiches?
Thanks! Love all your recipes, think I've nearly made everything off your blog!! Next I think is you're carrot cake!