It is however easier to be a vegetarian now as there are now so many meat substitutions on the market and ways to have a complete balanced diet without having to include meat in your diet.
A very simple dish I regularly make, either to have on it's own with rice or to accompany a meat dish are roasted vegetables sprinkled with cheese. I find this is something quick, tasty and low in fat (depending on what type of cheese you use).Usually when cooked I drizzle the veg with a little sweet chilli dipping sauce or sprinkle with a few crushed cashew nuts.
Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables
1 red pepper
8 cherry tomatoes
50g grated Cheddar cheese/feta (crumbled)
Few basil leaves
Freshly ground pepper and sea salt
Sweet chilli dipping sauce (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C
2. Place all veg, apart from the tomatoes, in a casserole dish. Tear the basil leaves and add to veg.
3. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle over some olive oil and mix well.
4. Place in pre heated oven for 15mins. Take out of oven, add tomatoes and sprinkle over the cheese.
5. Put back in oven for approximately 5 mins or until cheese has completely melted over the veg.
6. To serve either drizzle over a little sweet chilli sauce or top with some crushed cashew nuts.