Dáithí Ó Sé's Chocolate Biscuit Cake


Dáithí Ó Sé was the chef on RTÉ's The Restaurant last week, and for dessert, he made this chocolate biscuit cake. It is his mother's recipe and it is quite luscious. Dáithí Ó Sé has become increasingly popular in the Irish media, and it turns out that he isn't half bad in the kitchen either.Chocolate biscuit cake is something I always made with my mother as a child. I have my mother's recipe which I use on a regular basis, but I wanted to try out Dáithí's version. I must say it is a very easy recipe to make, it turned out perfect and tasted delicious. Since I was making this for the children I left out the almonds and the Baileys. I also found the mixture to be fairly wet so I added an additional 200g of biscuits; chocolate chip cookies & a few bourbons.






Chocolate Biscuit Cake


Ingredients
300g digestive biscuits.
100g flaked almonds, toasted
100g unsalted butter, melted
300g dark chocolate (60% cocoa solids)
1 tin condensed milk
30ml Baileys 


Method
1. Roughly crush the digestive biscuits in a bowl. Stir in the flaked almonds and the melted butter.
2. Melt the chocolate in a large bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, then stir in the condensed milk. Pour this chocolate mixture over the biscuits along with the Baileys and stir well to combine all the ingredients.
3. Line a 2lb loaf tin with Clingfilm (or baking parchment) and spoon the mixture into it. Place the tin in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
4. To make it extra special drizzle with some melted chocolate of choice.



8 Comments:

Clare said...

Hi Nessa, I was delighted when I found this recipe on your blog a while ago. I ended up making it as a Christmas cake and it turned out tasting really delicious! Thanks for sharing it!

Clare

Nessa Robins said...

That's really great Clare!It's one I make quite a bit myself :)

Doris Cantwell said...

Hi Nessa
Thank you for sharing this recipe, I am printing it and cant wait for tomorrow to try, it sound simply lovely.
I have been a big fan of chocolate biscuit cake since childhood (many years ago).
Doris

Nessa Robins said...

I hope you enjoy it, Doris. Let me know how you get on!

Unknown said...

Looks yum Nessa! How long does it keep and what size cake does this quantity make?

Nessa Robins said...

Hi Fiona,
It's yummy for sure! It fits in a 2lb loaf tin and will keep for about 3 days in the fridge, when tightly wrapped with greaseproof and tinfoil.

rossnolan22 said...

Nicest biscuit cake I’ve made !! Added malteasers to it to give it an extra crunch. Thanks

Nessa Robins said...

Isn't it delicious! Love the addition of the Maltesers. All the best. Nessa x