Food Styling and Photography with Sharon Hearne-Smith and Donal Skehan

Donal setting up a shot for his Grasshopper Pies.

On Saturday I had great day at The Irish Food Bloggers Association Food Styling/Photography workshop. On hand to deliver plenty of advice were Sharon Hearn-Smith and Donal Skehan. Both really nice people with a shared passion for food and how to make each dish simply beautiful when shot on camera. Sharon is responsible for so many of the impressively styled dishes in magazines, cookbook, T.V. ads, films and many more. She also showcases some of her photos and recipes on her website Blueberry Pie and her blogs Friendly Cottage and Sharon Hearne-Smith. Donal writes the most amazing food blog - The Good Mood Food Blog and he seems to be appearing everywhere these days!!! I picked up really useful tips on setting up my photos for the blog and plenty of inside secrets on how the professionals get their food photographs to look so tempting. I'm looking forward to putting all their advice into practice.

Sharon brought these adorable Blueberry Pies for us to enjoy with coffee.

Sharon giving us an insight into the ad she styled for Cully & Sully.

6 Comments:

Photography Perth said...

Wonderful photos it's perfect and very professional. I hope I can attend a workshop for photography like that.

Caroline@Bibliocook said...

Weren't those wee pies fab? I rediscovered mine on the train the next morning - a very welcome little surprise at the bottom of my bag, and still unsmushed, until I got my hands on it...

Sharon Hearne-Smith said...

hey nessa....thanks for the write up. i love that snap of donal with the camera! nice food photography on baby pie too, well done! s x

Nessa Robins said...

Caroline- I thought they were so cute that I decided last night to make some mini mince pies and freeze them, for my class this sat, but unfortunately mine turned out a little 'rustic' shall I say!! (I don't work well with pastry!!)

Hi Sharon. I like that pic myself but then Donal is quite photogenic!
Really learned a lot at the workshop- so interesting!! Would love to know more. Hopefully another such day is on the cards. Thanks Nessa.

Brownieville Girl said...

Sounds like a fantastic day - wish I could have been there.

Well done - great photos.

Nessa Robins said...

It was great- so interesting. Hopefully another such day will be organised again!!