Here is the dish I made on Ireland AM this morning. It is a great family meal as it's perfect made in bulk and is suitable for all due to it's mellow flavours. It is a vegetarian dish but strips of cooked chicken, chorizo or even little meatballs would work perfectly in it.
Roasted Tomato & Pasta Soup
600g fresh tomatoes, chopped into chunks
3 garlic cloves,crushed
1 red onion, chopped into chunks
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
handful fresh basil leaves, torn
600mls chicken or vegetable stock
100g Philadelphia Original or 100mls cream
400g cooked pasta shells
Parmesan, grated for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4.
2. Put the tomatoes, garlic and onion in an over proof dish. Sprinkle over the smoked paprika and sugar, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with a pinch of sea salt and some freshly ground pepper .
3. Wash your hands and massage all the ingredients together until the tomatoes and onion are well combined with all the other ingredients.
4. Roast in the oven for 20minutes.
5. Meanwhile heat the stock in a large saucepan, stir in the cooked roasted tomato mix and add the basil and allow to simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes.
6. Blend the soup together with a liquidiser or hand blender.
7. Return to the heat and stir in the Philadelphia or cream.
8. Add the cooked pasta shells.
Serve in a bowl with a grating of fresh parmesan and some crusty bread to mop up the delicious soup!