Edward Hayden's Never Fail Muffins


I had the opportunity to meet the lovely Edward Hayden as part of Ireland AM/Philadelphia Taste Factor Competition {which I have yet to tell you all about but I promise it will be soon!}. He is such a gentleman and frightfully funny. He certainly made my first couple of experiences of live television go by like a breeze!! Edward's second cookbook Food to Love was published in April and it's packed with so many practical recipes. The book is very user-friendly with all the recipes listed in the contents page. From Sunday Lunch to Heavenly Cakes and Bakes there is a dish to suit every occasion. The photography is impressive with all the food styling by Edward. Along with many of the recipes Edward offers the reader his 'Top Tip' for perfecting the dish along with ideas on ways to vary the recipe.


Even though Edward has a background in cheffing and has spent the last number of years working and teaching at the prestigious Dunbrody House his recipes are very accessible. There are many household favourites along with delectable dishes perfect for entertaining.
These mouthwatering muffins were first on my list to make from the book. I had them whipped together in a few minutes and they were utterly scrumptious with a cuppa!
The book is beautifully bound and includes a feature which I find essential to any cookbook - a ribbon bookmark. However a few more would come in useful as I have already earmarked many more recipes, that I am looking forward to trying out! A fantastic book by a really lovely guy and I wish him every success in the future.


{My dad picked me these beautiful flowers this evening, from his garden ,so I just had to include them in my photos.}




Never Fail Muffins


Ingredients
450g (1lb) plain flour
175g (6oz) caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
110g (4oz) butter
2 large eggs
175ml (6fl oz) milk
Flavouring (Lemon & Blueberry)
Grated zest of 1 lemon
150g (5 oz) blueberries


Suggested Flavourings/Toppings:
White chocolate & raspberry: 3oz/75g white chocolate chips and 3oz/75g fresh/frozen raspberries
Lemon & blueberry: Grated zest of 1 lemon & 5oz/150g blueberries
Chocolate chip:   5oz/150g mixed chocolate chips
Apple & cinnamon:  2 eating apples, diced & ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Banana & milk chocolate: 2 ripe bananas, mashed and 3oz/75g milk chocolate chips
Cranberry & sultana:  4oz/110g fresh cranberries & 2oz/50g sultanas & blueberry: Grated zest of 1 lemon & 5oz/150g bl


Method
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
2. Line a 12 cup muffin tray with muffin paper cases.
3. Mix flour, sugar and baking powder together.
4. Rub in the butter with the tips of your fingers.
5. Break in the eggs and milk and mix to a stiff batter. Add in the lemon and blueberries at this stage and mix well.
6. Spoon into prepared muffin tin (lined with the muffin cases) and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and puffed up
7. Dust with icing sugar and serve, or mix 3 tablespoons of icing sugar with little boiled water until it reaches a running consistency and drizzle haphazardly over the top of the muffins.


Edward's book 'Food to Love' is published by O' Brien Press and is in all good bookstores.

9 Comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

Lucky you! Getting to meet him! And also, these muffins look just so yummy and professional. I love the fruit; and the drizzle of icing. The flowers match it all perfectly.

Nessa Robins said...

Thanks Brittany, the muffins are yummy and I always prefer flowers from the garden in place of a bought bouquet.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Hi Nessa, looks like you're giving me a run for my money with my blueberry muffins! LOL!! Here's the link to my recipe if you'd like to compare notes! LOL http://oceanbreezesandcountrysneezes.blogspot.com/2010/08/bursting-with-blueberries.html

Seriously, these muffins look fabulous! I love the glaze on them, I just may steal your idea for my next batch!

Love your dad's bouquet! Isn't he sweet for picking those for you! This Sunday is Father's Day in the U.S.A., so Happy Father's Day to your dad!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Mary

Nessa Robins said...

They look wonderful Mary! The muffins are lovely their own but the glaze works really nicely on them.
Dad is fantastic! He is 81 this year and spends most of his day gardening. It's actually also fathers day here this Sunday. Have a lovely weekend.

Eimear said...

I love blueberries!! Just wondering how do these fare the next day?

Nessa Robins said...

I sometimes find muffins/buns made with butter can have a short shelf life. Definitely the buns I make with Flora Light last for at least 4-5 days. But these muffins were still perfect the next day.

Sue/the view from great island said...

I'm in New England where the blueberries will be pickable soon, so I can't wait to try this recipe. I'm a muffin fiend but can't seem to perfect them. I can tell these are great just by looking at them.

Nessa Robins said...

Thanks Sue! This is a real fool-proof recipe so give it a try and let me know what you think.
I have just added to the post a few of the other combinations that Edward suggested. I must try some of them myself!

MissCakeBaker said...

These look perfect!