Something for the Weekend

I'm sure a lot of research has taken place to find out how to get consumers to purchase as much as possible, in a supermarket. The location of the special offers and the sweets near the till, for the tired toddler who's calling the shots after an hour long shop, are all part of the plan to get us to buy more. Many I don't succumb to, however one supermarket tactic that I can't ignore, especially if hungry, is the smell of freshly baked breads and pastries. Many's the time I've been lured to the baking department and a couple of pastries will ultimately make their way into my trolley. Perfect to accompany that momentous cuppa  after returning home from a shopping trip with four children.
One part of Saturday mornings that I truly relish is having the time for a proper sit down breakfast, with all the children. It may just be cereal and juice, but everyone around the kitchen table is always a good start to the day. This weekend I decided I would make some little pastries to have with breakfast. I had some shop bought puff pastry in the fridge so whipping them up was no difficult fate. My absolute favourite pastry is the pecan and maple variety, so these are what I made. They are fairly sweet, and you certainly wouldn't eat them every morning, but as a treat they work out rather nice.

Maple & Pecan Puffs



Ingredients
1 sheet of puff pastry, if frozen thawed
100g pecans, plus a few extra for topping
60mls maple syrup
50g soft brown sugar
25g soft butter

Method

1. Pre heat the oven to 200 C/ 390 F.

2. Roll out the puff pastry and place on a sheet of grease proof paper.
3. Place the pecans in a food processor and blitz for a few seconds. Add the maple syrup, butter and sugar. Blitz to a smooth mixture.
4. Using a sharp knife cut the pastry into 2 inch wide strips from the outer edge of the pastry and about the quarter of the way to the middle of the pastry.
5. Spoon the mixture in the middle of the pastry.
6. Fold the strips of pastry towards the centre, over lapping each of the strips, which will form a plait effect. Brush with a little water and sprinkle over a few chopped pecans.
7. Place on a large baking tray, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
8. While still hot, brush with a little maple syrup, which gives the pasties a nice shine.    

11 Comments:

Peggy said...

Oh love them too! Amazing with a nice hot chocolate!

Kristin said...

Those maple and pecan plaits are my favourites too. I practically lived off them during my first trimester when I was pregnant with M, they were all I wanted to eat!

Edith said...

They look delicious! Maple and pecan are just a marriage in heaven, right? :)

Nessa Robins said...

Peggy, they would be gorgeous with a hot chocolate!
Kristin, I was similar on all of my pregnancies, with one or two treat-like foods. The worse sugary craving however was diet coke, while pregnant with Millie!
Dead right, Edith! A lovely combination, especially in muffins!

Sue/the view from great island said...

These look fabulous, I just love puff pastry, I'm going to make these when my girls are home for the holidays, thanks!

Caitriona (Wholesome Ireland) said...

Well I didn't realise they were made with shop bought pastry. I'm sold! Must try and make these with the kids at the weekend.

Nessa Robins said...

I love puff pastry too, Sue. I hope your girls like them!

Thanks Caitriona! I'd never attempt puff pastry, when there are so many good ones to buy. Hope ye enjoy them.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I don't use enough puff pastry, now you've just given me a good reason to do so! LOL!!!

I think it's great and important that you sit down with the kids on Saturday morning. Just think of the wonderful memories you are creating for your children!

These look delicious, and I'll be giving them a try!

Have a great week!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Bless the person who decided to freeze and sell puff pastry. The recipes you can use with puff pastry are endless. Your treats look delicious and I bet they were gobbled up quickly.

mkconlon said...

Omg these just sound & look delicious, I love maple syrup, pecans and puff pastry. I think I'll be giving these a try too!

Nessa Robins said...

Thanks ladies! Let me know if you give them a try. Hope you enjoy.