Friday, October 8, 2010

Rachel Allen's Apple Fudge Cake



I love puddings that can be made in minutes and especially ones that are as tasty as this one. I am currently scouring through all my cookbooks in search of inspiration for recipes for my adult Christmas courses. Quite a pleasurable way to spend a morning but it is all work of course as there are just so many recipes to try out. I stumbled upon this apple cake recipe and couldn't resist whipping it together while dinner was in the oven. It comes from Rachel Allens' first book - Rachel's Favourite Food. One of my favourite cookbooks and eventhough it's a fairly small book it's packed with lots of interesting recipes. It is now peak season for Bramley apples and personally I prefer an apple cake to tart. So for me this is a great way to use up some of our apples.
As a hugh lover of cream I had to serve a slice of this cake with a large dollop on the side but as this cake is deliciously moist it can hold it's own with a cuppa.




The apples are sprinkled with brown sugar and you could add a little cinnamon, if desired.





INGREDIENTS
  • 2 large cooking Apples such as Bramleys
  • 50 g dark brown sugar
  • 175 g Butter
  • 175 g light brown sugar
  • 175 g Self Raising Flour
  • 4 Eggs

FUDGE SAUCE

  • 110 g Butter
  • 110 g light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C(fan)/390f/gas mark 6.
  2. Butter the sides of the tin and line the base with a disc of greaseproof paper.
  3. Peel and cut the apples into eights and arrange in a single layer in the tin (this will be to the top of the cake when its cooked.)
  4. Sprinkle over the 50g (2oz) dark brown sugar.
  5. Put all the remaining ingredients into a food processor or mixer and whiz to combine.
  6. Pour it over the apples and sugar.
  7. Cook in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until the cake is spongey in the centre.
  8. Wait for it to cool for 2 minutes before turning out.

FUDGE SAUCE

  1. In a saucepan combine and melt the butter, sugar and lemon juice over a low heat for a few mins.
  2. Stir and pour over the cake when its cool.

11 comments:

Petra said...

I made this on Sunday; lovely recipe, went down a treat (especially fudge sauce got big Yummy!), thanks!

Nessa Robins said...

Yeah it's one I will be making again!! Hope all is well over there!!

Petra said...

All fine here, except for John who has his every other week cold again ...:( Am keeping busy with working most days and trying to catch up with PTA work and house work. Very little play! Although am still baking the odd treat. Am trying out a pizza today based on a scone dough, wish me luck! I'm doing a after school cooking course with the kids at the moment, ran by the council; it's good fun. Really do need a holiday though...

Nessa Robins said...

Poor John-I'm sure you'r taking good care of him!!I have made pizzas with the children in my classes using a scone recipe as the base and it always seemed to work out well. Are you instructing or attending the class with the kids??

Petra said...

holymoly, attending I should think! It's run by the council supported by the National Health Service, in building of the special needs school where I work (so there's plenty of cookers and worktops). The recipes are all about healthy eating. It's good actually, every time we come in and the kids see the ingredients they go: I don't have to eat it do I? But come the time to eat after they've prepared it they always love the food.

Angela said...

I made 2 of these this morning. Can I freeze one?

Nessa Robins said...

I would sometimes freeze buns, so I expect this could be okay to also freeze, without the sauce. Maybe try freezing a slice of the first one? It should be okay, I'm just wondering how the apples would turn out on defrosting. Let me know how you get on.

Katie said...

Going to make this today for dessert for the family, looking forward to it, seems so yummy! Will let you know how it goes :)

Nessa Robins said...

Great Katie! I hope they all enjoyed it :)

Katie said...

Just out of the oven and smells absolutely delicious, looking forward to having a slice :) Second time making it, couldn't get enough of it the first time so was in dire need of being made again :) Love your recipes, so simple yet delicious :)

Nessa Robins said...

Ah!! That's so lovely Katie! Thank you and enjoy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...