New Year's Juicing

I have never been a great believer in making New Year’s resolutions. I must admit that this is mainly founded on the fact that I find them too difficult to sustain. I have found year on year that my resolution to be two dress sizes smaller by the following Christmas never actually materialises, which I suppose in turn leads to my disbelief in the making of new year resolutions. This year I am choosing smaller, and dare I say much more realistic, goals which I should find more favourable and therefore with any luck they’ll be easier to achieve. One from this year’s list is to use my electric juicer more; I did say that I’m not aiming for anything over-ambitious! The juicing of fruit and vegetables is a wonderful way to include essential vitamins and minerals in one’s diet. The best time to drink freshly juiced fruit or vegetables is when your tummy is empty and therefore the optimal ammount of nutrients will be absorbed. This time of year is also a good time to pick one up at a reasonable price, and it will last you years. However if you don’t have a juicer, a blender can be used and then strain the contents through a sieve. This is one of my favourite juice combinations and mild tasting enough that the children also really enjoy it.


Ingredients - Serves 1

4 carrots, washed and roughly chopped
2 red eating apple, chopped into chunks
1 large handful of spinach, washed and leaves roughly chopped
1 inch of fresh ginger
Juice of ¼ of a lemon

Method

Using an electric juice extractor, press each ingredient through, individually, collecting the juice. Pour into a glass and squeeze in the juice of ¼ of a lemon. Stir well and enjoy straight away. 





2 Comments:

Distant Dad said...

Will have to try this. I love lemon ginger zinger (carrot, apple, ginger and lemon) but strangely, despite juicing for 4 years now, I've never tried adding spinach to that recipe.

Nessa Robins said...

It's a great combo. Lemon, Ginger Zinger is the perfect title for it :)