Cheese & Chive Scones

I have always had a great love for all types of cheeses. I have memories of being out for dinner, with my parents, starting from when I was as young as seven, and when given the option between dessert or a cheeseboard, the chessboard would always be my preferred choice. I now could quite happily incorporate cheese into any dish, as there are just so many different types, varieties and flavours, that can complement many ingredients. The cheese made from the Co. Tipperary based farm, Cooleeney are ones that I have very much enjoyed to cook with, but quite often have savoured just alongside a nice bread and a dollop of chutney. I was delighted, a few months back, when a lovely lady from Cooleeney contacted me to see if I'd devise a few recipes for Cooleeney's newsletter, using some of their magnificent cheeses. This is my recipe for cheese & chive scones which was included in Cooleeney's spring newsletter. I make scones almost every other day, as the kids love them and they make very convenient lunch box fillers. These scones are perfect served with just butter, but are even nicer when topped with a chunk of Cooleeney's Darú, a few slices of tomato and a sprinkling of chopped chives.


Cheese & Chive Scones

Ingredients:

450g/1lb plain flour 
1 teasp baking powder
25g/1oz caster sugar
100g/4oz butter
250mls fresh milk

100g/4oz Darú Cheese, grated
1 tbsp chives, finely chopped

For Glaze:
Egg wash - some beaten egg with a little milk

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/430°F/Gas mark 7
2. Sieve all the dry ingredients together into a large mixing bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon.
3. Add the butter and toss in the flour mixture. Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.

4. Stir in the grated Darú and finely chopped chives.
5. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the milk to the dry ingredients.
6. Mix together with a wooden spoon, then use your hands to make a soft dough.
7. Turn dough out onto a floured board. Wash and dry hands. Knead lightly- not too much as the scones would become tough. Roll out the dough and cut out using a circular cutter.
8. Brush the tops with the egg wash.
9. Bake in the oven for 10-12mins until golden brown. Remove and cool on a wire tray.

10. Serve with a nice chunk of Darú, sliced tomatoes and some finely chopped chives.

4 Comments:

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Wonderful scone recipe. The tomato and cheese on top is a bonus too.

Sheila Kiely said...

I'd imagine that these were delicious straight out of the oven with a little butter and a cuppa. They look fab Nessa.

mod erin said...

Oh Nessa these look and sound divine. I make a cheese and thyme scone which we love with home-made tomato soup ! Is there anything better than a hot scone straight from the oven ?

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Oh these look so delicious!!! I love the idea of the tomato and cheese! Thank you for sharing your recipe!