My How Your Garden Grows!

It seems that our summer sun, that we were so attentive to and appreciative of, has once again turned it's back on us. Once there is any heat in the air, my children, like most, love the good weather and will spend a great deal of time outdoors, playing games and plotting adventures. My dad has a weather glass hanging in his hall and not a day will pass without him telling us his prediction of the upcoming weather. This has led to the boys having a vested interest in meteorology, and never more so than when have some outdoor event is on the horizon, where the appearance of the sun would be most welcomed. The next few weeks will see two school tours, a school walk, school's sports day and a few important birthday parties, so Met Eireann is receiving great hits from my little men, these days. All these events are so mush nicer in the sun and I really hope, that at the very least, the rain will stay away.

All that beautiful sunshine and then the few days of rain, has really benefited the garden. Everything has started to grow at a phenomenal rate and I'm especially excited about my strawberry plants, that are currently boosting little white berries, that will soon be juicy ripe strawberries. The boys also have their own area of the garden, especially as their own little planting area and the excitement is building as carrots and other vegetables start to push through the soil. I love that the children see where some of their food is coming from and are actively involved in bringing it to the table. Tender carrots, that have been lovingly grown, are treated with a little more respect when they reach the dinner plate. This doesn't work with every vegetable, yet I feel it's important that children learn to appreciate their food.













It was my Dad who originally designed and planted my fruit and vegetable garden, almost five years ago. It wasn't long after Mam passing away, that we moved into our home, that we built just beside my parent's house. Life can be very lonely after losing a loved one and I was glad when Dad wanted to spend more time with us. As a hard working farmer, all his life, only in recent years did he get to allocate real time for his true passion, which is gardening. He has a beautiful garden with a poly tunnel packed with plants of all varieties, so when he suggested he'd plant me a veggie garden at our house I jumped at the chance.

The garden is still going strong and since Dad has got a little slower on his feet, the garden has become a real family affair to look after. Even if you only have the room for a window box, I'd recommend you grow something for your kitchen. There is a great satisfaction gained from eating something that you have actually grown yourself.

In other news, the blog got a really nice mention in this month's Glenisk Newsletter, as their blog of the month. I was over joyed with Emma's kind words. Clink on the link to have a read.

15 Comments:

Patricia's Patisserie said...

There is so much growth in the garden alright. We went away for the weekend, just a few days away and you notice the change. It's amazing. Your garden looks beautiful Nessa ! Love your blog, makes a great read :)

Nessa Robins said...

Aw, thanks so much Patricia. It seems like everyday the plants have grown that little bit more. It's a great time of year :)

Magali said...

What a lovely post, I love the pictures of your dad and the kids.
I have been trying very hard to grow something myself, but with not much success. My basil always develops a strangely grainy covering on the leaves after a few weeks and my herbs tend to dry and become very twiggy (they're all on the kitchen window). I guess you have to be there all the time to grow something successfully, and I work all week and only have time for the garden on the weekend...

Nessa Robins said...

Thanks Magali, I love those photos with Dad & the kids too. Gardening can be a little time consuming, so I'm lucky that I have so many helpers. Something similar happens to my basil and I get it very difficult to grow any from seed. A lot of the other herbs are a lot hardier and grow, fairly maintenance free, outside on the window sill.

Sue/the view from great island said...

Can we please trade lives, just for a day? This is all amazing and adorable. What a wonderful thing to have your dad next door!

Nessa Robins said...

Where you live, Sue, looks pretty amazing too! Maybe we'll do a house swap, someday. I'm very lucky to have Dad near. Thanks for stopping by!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I love that your dad is close by. It is nice for him to be near the kids with their energy. and enthusiasm. Your garden is lovely.

Nessa Robins said...

Very true! Their energy certainly keeps him busy and they love having him around. Thanks for visiting!

WiseMóna said...

Your garden looks amazing Nessa. I miss having my dad around for stuff like this. Treasure every second x

Vicky said...

Beautiful children and beautiful garden Neassa. :)

George@CulinaryTravels said...

Beautiful garden Nessa, I wish I had that amount of space. You have a fabulous blog here, a wonderful way with words.

Nessa Robins said...

I know how you feel, Mona. Would love to have my Mam around but very grateful to have Dad. x
Aw, thanks so much Vicky.
Thank you, George. Your comment has brought a great big smile to my face!

Raphaele said...

This is a beautiful garden you have here! Well done to the whole family. I like the idea of having a dedicated space for the boys. I am desperate for a way to get my kids to eat veg. Did you find getting them to grow their carrot helped to get them to eat more of them?

Weber Recipes said...

Simply beautiful! Love your garden :)

Nessa Robins said...

It's funny, Raphaele, it was the making of carrot cakes, using the carrots from the garden, that first got my pickiest eater interested in trying them. They are definitely more inclined to try something new when they have had some part in bringing it to the table - either by growing it or cooking it. Blitzing soups & sauces is a great way to get veggies into kids but I know you probably want them to eat them without having to sneak them into their diets. Let me know how you get on!