Chocolate Lamingtons

I'm not a huge chocolate fan, therefore I normally bake goodies which aren't exactly chocolate-orientated. However, even as an on-the-fence chocolate admirer, I must admit there is something about chocolate lamingtons that make them rather tempting. I had this recipe in my file for ages. It's one I shared on an old Easy Parenting column, so when I stumbled upon it and suggested to Millie we give it a go, she was pulling the ingredients from the press before I had the chance to change my mind. My slight reluctance was somewhat heightened when I remembered making them last, and just how messy I had found them to assemble, however later that night, when I was tucking into one with a large cup of tea, I deemed them worth the hassle. Chocolate and coconut always work so well together, but they're particularly nice when paired with a slightly chocolatey cake. These chocolate lamingtons are lovely and light, and are perfect with a cuppa or parcelled up to bring along to a winter picnic in the park.  




Ingredients

225g butter, softened 
225g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 large free-range eggs
250g self-raising flour, sieved
25g cocoa powder, sieved 

To Assemble 
100g raspberry jam
200g milk chocolate 
100g desiccated coconut 

Method

1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas mark 6. Prepare a 20cm x 30cm swiss roll tin with a high lip by greasing with a little butter and lining with parchment paper, leaving a slight overhang to help with removing the cake from the tin.
2. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl and cream together for about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time with a little flour- to prevent the mixture from curdling. Mix well after each addition.
4. Add the remaining flour and cocoa powder and mix to combine. 
5. Pour the mixture into the swiss roll tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown in colour. If unsure, test using a skewer - if it comes out clean, the cake is baked. Cool on a wire tray.
6. When completely cooled cut into 24 squares. Then cut each square in half diagonally.
7. Spread one side of each mini cake with jam and sandwich the cake back together. 
8. In the microwave or over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate. 
9. Place the coconut into a bowl. Dip each square into the chocolate and then using two forks dip them into the coconut. Turning the squares to evenly coat. Place some kitchen paper under the wire tray and transfer the coated squares back onto it. Allow to set before serving.

0 Comments: