Bramley Apple & Blueberry Cake




My father has a few Bramley apples trees that were planted around 40 years ago and each year we harvest many bags full of fruit. That is of course whatever the wasps and crows haven't already pillaged.
 I can hardly believe that a year has passed since I last went collecting apples with the boys, I think it must be a sign that I'm getting old! I really love this time of year as there are so many opportunities to forage for ingredients. The boys, and now Millie, love our 'nature walks' and the day's problems are often thrashed out and sorted while holding hands, walking through the fields. I just love spending time with the kids in this way. Recently we went collecting apples and when we returned home Tiarnan picked some blueberries from our own garden, so I decided to put the fruits together and use my Mam's trusted bun mixture to make this Apple & Blueberry Cake.

If you have some apples that you would like to harvest, here is a post I wrote last year, on doing just that!





Bramley Apple & Blueberry Cake

Ingredients
225g (8oz) Flora light / butter
225g (8oz) caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
280g (10oz) self-raising flour (sieved)
3 free range eggs

2 cooking apples, cored and sliced
150g/1cup blueberries
2 tbsp demerara sugar
Icing sugar-for sieving over

Method
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C(fan)/390f/gas mark 6.
2. Place the flora, sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl and cream together until it is a pale yellow colour.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time with a little flour- to prevent the mixture from curdling. Mix well.
4. Add the flour little by little then mix well.
5. Pour mix into a lined springform 10in tin.
6. Top with apple slices and blueberries and sprinkle over the demerara sugar.
7. Bake in the oven for 45 - 50 mins or until golden brown in colour. Cool on a wire tray.
8. Dust with a little sieved icing sugar and serve with a dollop of freshly whipped cream.



15 Comments:

Sue/the view from great island said...

We have just starting our apple picking here, so I'm glad to have this recipe. I love cakes baked in spring form pans, I just think they are so elegant.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

We go apple picking every tear and we just love it. Great recipe to use up the lovely apples we don't eat. Great photos too.

RD said...

Looks good. Does this recipe call for cooking apples or eating apples?

Nessa Robins said...

I think the tartiness of a cooking apple works best but you could also use eating apples. Hope it works out well for you. :)

likemamusedtobake said...

Looks lovely Nessa, and your pictures are beautiful.

Nicola/Simply Homemade said...

Beautiful photos Nessa. The cake looks delicious and moist.
Nicola

Nollaig said...

This looks delicious Nessa, i must try it soon. The photos are so beautiful too. And a healthy treat is always a good idea! Big fan of berries any day anyway!

Brownieville Girl said...

I've just spent a lovely time reading your blog (don't get a chance to pop in as often as I used to). I am so sorry to hear that your sister hasn't been well, but really glad that she is on the mend - our sisters mean everything don't they?

Love the spread at the coffee morning - I'd say everyone rolled home that day!!!


This cake looks delicious - and fairly healthy too, winner!

Nessa Robins said...

Thank you ladies for your lovely comments!
BG, I know you are a very busy lady so thank you for taking the time to browse. Thankfully Dervilla is very strong, she's getting through her treatment and looking forward to having her sickness behind her. I'm delighted to say that the coffee morn was a great success!

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Nessa, is the "Flora Light" a type of shortening or margarine ? Can I use butter instead. Make my own from our dairy herd and don't keep any other shortening around except pig lard which I think might be all wrong for this gorgeous dessert.

WiseMóna said...

Your photos AND recipe is beautiful Nessa.
We still have a few blueberries in the polytunnel and a gazillion apples so I feel a baking session brewing this week.

Nessa Robins said...

Donna, flora light is a margarine but your own butter would be perfect in this recipe! Thanks a million Mona. Isn't it brilliant to have all these lovely produce to cook with. Busy times in the kitchen!

Magda said...

Your cake looks so delicious, so light. I can hear it saying "eat me" :)

annie@mostlovelythings said...

This looks delicious! Your blog and the way you style your food is beautiful!
annie

Nessa Robins said...

Thank you very much, Ladies, for your lovely comments. :)