This has to be one of my favourite topping for buns and one that many have asked me for the recipe. I always find that decorated buns keep best when iced soon after they cool. This topping would keep well, in the fridge, for 4-5 days. Recently I have started to omit the food colouring from the mixture due to the recent information and health precautions about Tartrazine (E102) which is an added ingredient in yellow food colouring.
Creamy Lemon Bun Topping
30g softened butter
80g plain cream cheese (Philadelphia)
250g icing sugar, sieved
2-3 drops lemon essence
½ teaspoon yellow food colouring
Hundreds & Thousands to sprinkle
1. Place the softened butter and cream cheese into a large bowl and blend well.
2. Slowly add the icing sugar and continue to blend. Add the lemon essence and blend again.
3. Add a drop at a time of the food colouring. Put in the fridge for about half an hour.
4. Put large spoonful of icing on top of each bun and spread evenly.
5. Sprinkle with Hundreds & Thousands to decorate.