Tomato and Basil Soup
2 x 14 oz (400 g) tins of tomatoes
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
knob of butter
drizzle of olive oil
400 mls vegetable stock or chicken stock
3 tablespoons or few handfuls of fresh basil, roughly torn
Salt, freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp sugar
4 fl ozs (120 ml) cream
1. Sweat the onion and the garlic in the butter and a drizzle of olive oil on a gentle heat until soft but not coloured.
2. Add the chopped tinned tomatoes and vegetable stock.
3. Season with salt, freshly ground pepper and sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes. Add the basil and simmer for a further couple of mins.
4. Liquidize. Bring back to the boil, correct seasoning and add the cream.
5. Serve with a little drizzle of cream and if you really like basil put a little spoonful of basil pesto on top of the bowl of hot soup.