Tomato and Basil Soup
knob of butter
drizzle of olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 x 14 oz (400 g) tins of tomatoes
400 mls vegetable stock/ chicken stock
handful of fresh basil, roughly torn
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp sugar
4 fl ozs (120 ml) cream
1. Sweat the onion and the garlic in the butter and a drizzle of olive oil on a gentle heat until soft but not coloured.
2. Add the chopped tinned tomatoes and vegetable stock.
3. Season with salt, freshly ground pepper and sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes. Add the basil and simmer for a further couple of mins.
4. Liquidize. Bring back to a simmer, correct seasoning and add the cream.
5. Serve with a little drizzle of cream and if you really like basil put a little spoonful of basil pesto on top of the bowl of hot soup.