Scones are something so delicious and so easy to make. Myself and the boys make them a few times a week and we enjoy them the most when they are straight out of the oven with butter and homemade jam. This is a basic scone recipe but sometimes we vary this recipe by adding a few chocolate chips or leave out the sugar and add some grated cheese and chopped spring onions. I find the scones turn out better when they are barely kneaded- just turn out onto a floured surface and make shapes with a cutter.
Scrumptious Sweet Scones
Ingredients (makes 10 scones)
450g/1lb Self Raising Flour
Pinch of salt
25g/1oz caster sugar
1 large egg
Egg wash (some beaten egg with a little milk)
Granulated sugar-on a small plate
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6
2. Sieve all the ingredients together into a large mixing bowl.
3. Cut the butter into small cubes, toss in the flour and rub in the butter
4. Whisk the egg with the milk
5. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the whisked egg and milk to the dry ingredients.
6. Mix together with a wooden spoon, then use your hands to make a soft dough
7. Turn dough out onto a floured board. Wash and dry hands. Knead lightly- not too much as the scones would become tough. Roll out the dough and cut out using a circular cutter.
8. Brush the tops with the egg wash and dip into the granulated sugar.
9. Bake in the oven for 10-12mins until golden brown. Remove and cool on a wire tray.
10. Serve with butter and homemade jam and enjoy. Delicious!