Potato & Fresh Herb Soup


For lunch, on a cold winter's day, there is nothing as nice as a bowl of steaming hot soup, but I find that generally, I will make a pot of soup whatever the weather. I'm an avid lover of many types of soups as there is no easier way of including a few of my children's all-important five a day of fruit/vegetables in one meal. One of their favourites is Leek and Potato but while visiting Cork we had a delicious dinner at Ballymaloe House and the soup we were served was Potato and Fresh Herb Soup. I knew the children would love it and since we have plenty of spuds in the garden and lots of fresh herbs this is one dish that can be rustled up very easily. 
During the Summer Holidays I had lots of helpers in the kitchen and garden so for this soup Jack was my assistant. He liked it so much that he actually posted the recipe on his own blog iJack O D before I had the chance to add it on here.




Since starting this blog I have become so interested in photography, with food always taking centre stage. I am constantly in search of food props and bowls, plates etc that might make my food look more enticing. These searches often lead me to local auctions with my Dad. However, sometimes there are pieces sitting in my press for years that have been awaiting their photographic début and this is the case with what I have photographed here today. 

This beautiful soup tureen, bowl and plate are part of a dinner service that belonged to my father's mother. I love having pieces on display or on my dresser that can tell a story. I never met either of my Dad's parents, as both of them died when he was a child, but yet I know so much about them. Even-tough my father is almost 81 he has a wonderful memory and can recall stories of events that happened many years ago as if it were yesterday. He is actually the last of his generation of the Robins family to be alive which I find ever so sad. Therefore, it is ever important that he shares his reminiscing with us. Over the past few years, he has put pen to paper and scribbled down some of these stories and memories, which I feel is a fabulous idea and something that every family should take the time to do. How amazing to read a story when you already know and love the main characters.


Potato & Fresh Herb Soup



This recipe is adapted from Darina Allen's Ballymaloe Cookery Course cookbook

Ingredients
50g (2oz) butter
425g (15oz) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm (⅓in) cubes
110g (4oz) onions, cut into 1cm (⅓in) cubes
2 tbsp of a combination of Parsley, Thyme, Sage and Chives, finely chopped
900ml (1½ pints) Chicken or Vegetable stock
125ml (4fl oz) Cream or Milk
1 tsp salt
Freshly Ground Pepper

Method
  1. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. When it foams add the onions and potatoes, and toss in the butter until well coated.
  2. Sprinkle with salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cover with a butter wrapper or paper lid and the lid of the saucepan. Sweat over a gentle heat for about 10 minutes
  3. Meanwhile, bring the stock to the boil. When the vegetables are soft but not coloured, and the freshly chopped herbs and stock, and continue to cook until the vegetables are soft.
  4. Purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add the cream or milk. Garnish with a few finely chopped herbs, a little cream and serve.


7 Comments:

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Nessa, this looks delicious! I can't wait to make it! We love soup! Those kiddos are so darn cute! Love the dishes too! Have a wonderful weekend!

WiseMóna said...

The soup looks lovely Nessa. I bet you could listen to the stories your Dad tells all day long. I have a few pieces of crockery too from both my Grandmothers and I rarely 'use' them but really love having them to look at.

Sue/the view from great island said...

I just love meals like this, homey and earthy and simple. It must taste even better out of your family's tureen. I'm bookmarking this to make this month, and when I looked over the recipe I realized that the fresh herbs must really be the secret to this soup.

Kristin said...

Beautiful photos, Nessa! Those special dishes must be even more treasured now that you can show them off on the blog. x

Amee said...

Oh now! I read this recipe ages ago on Jacks blog, really you should try to generate your own content and not borrow from your children's work.

Only joking and I really love those photos - so beautiful!

Clare - An American in Ireland said...

What a great soup for this soon-to-be-autumn weather we're having! Also I love how involved your kids are with cooking in your home, the lessons they are learning are priceless. I grew up cooking and learned a great deal of responsibility from it as well as gaining confidence. Love seeing kids in the kitchen!

Nessa Robins said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments. The weather has got so blustery I think I'll be making a lot more soups! Seems we skipped autumn and went straight into winter!