300g golden syrup
2tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
200g dark muscavado sugar
2tsp grounder ginger
300g plain flour
2tsp bicarbonate of soda
300ml sour cream
2 large eggs
Baking tin/tray lined with parchment or greaseproof paper. A greased casserole dish would also work to allow for thick slices.
1. Preheat oven to 170°C/340F/gas mark 4.
2. Put the butter, syrup, muscavado sugar, Guinness, ginger, cinnamon and ground cloves into a pan and melt gently over a low heat.
3. Take off the heat and whisk in the flour and bicarbonate of soda. You will need to be patient and whisk thoroughly to get rid of any lumps.
4. Whisk the sour cream and eggs together in a measuring jug and then beat into the gingerbread mixture, whisking again to get a smooth batter.
5. Pour it into your lined square tin, or into a barbecue-type foil tray, and bake for about 45 minutes; when it’s ready it will be gleamingly risen at the centre, and coming away from the tin at the sides.6. Let the gingerbread cool before cutting into slices or squares