This is the dish I demonstrated at The Ploughing Championship with (did I mention before?!) Neven Maguire. There are some ingredients I almost always have in my press and fridge which means I'm never stuck when we need a super quick dinner. This recipe is a firm favourite in my house. It's unusual for me to cook only one dinner but this dish suits all. The sauce is perfect with pasta or rice. My father who must have his daily portion of spuds will even have some of the chicken in the sauce with mashed potatoes. It takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and cook this dish and it is really delicious.
Chicken in a Creamy White Wine Sauce
4 chicken breast, diced
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, grated
200g mushrooms, sliced
180mls white wine
100mls chicken stock or 1/2 knorr stock pot dissolved in 100mls water
500g penne pasta
Optional Roux (to thicken)
Parmesan( to grate over)
- Prepare the pasta according to the pack instructions.
- Heat a large frying pan and add a lug of olive oil and a knob of butter.
- Add the onion and cook until the onions are soft but not coloured. Stir in the garlic and continue to cook for a minute.
- Add the wine and chicken stock. Let that bubble for five minutes.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, cream and parsley.
- Stir well and bring the sauce back to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for ten minutes until the chicken is fully cooked. Just a minute before serving stir in the spinach(a great way to increase the nutritional content).
- Mix the chicken and sauce with the cooked pasta.
- Serve in a large bowl with fresh parmesan grated over. Serve with either a green salad or green beans and crusty bread(to mop up all the sauce).