Brie & Baked Ham Toastie

So Thanksgiving will be celebrated in America, later this week. Each year I always feel that we are missing out on a truly wonderful holiday. I understand that the origins of the American & Canadian Thanksgiving are to do with the anniversary of their pilgrims settling in their countries, but the whole idea of having a holiday dedicated to giving thanks, I feel, is something really special. To be aware of all the good around us is paramount for day to day life and to give thanks for this good is ever important. Giving thanks and appreciating others good will, is something that I stress heavily with my children. I always remind them that as a family we have so much to be grateful for. Overall I'd consider myself a positive person. My mother oozed positivity and no matter what happened in life, she would take something positive from any situation. When ever I had a problem she was first I would call, and her ability to rationalise any dilemma always astounded me. I certainly miss my chats with her but her positivity rooted deep and has given me a fantastic outlook on my life. I have so much to give thanks for but most of all I am grateful for my happy and healthy children and a great husband.


I wanted to share with you a sandwich recipe that has become one of my annual favourites. As some of my readers are American I thought these ingredients may already be in your fridge, so that is why I'm posting this recipe early in the season.
I think to pan fry any sandwich makes it automatically tastier than it's grilled alternative. Of course it's not exactly healthier but I still always enjoy it as a real treat and this version would have to be my pan fried sandwich of choice. The kids also love all sorts of pan fried sandwiches, however their ultimate pan fried sandwich would be this smore like treat, which is only made on very special occasions.
The ingredients that are packed inside this sandwich are ones that are typically left in the fridge after Thanksgiving or Christmas. This is a useful recipe to create something delicious from your leftover cheese board, cooked ham and cranberry sauce.

Pan Fried Brie and Baked Ham Sandwich



Ingredients 
2 slices of thick white bread
butter
wedge of Brie or Camerbert
slice of Baked Ham
 1 teasp Cranberry Sauce
few drops of Balsamic Vinegar

Method
 1. Butter the slices of bread. Slice the brie and place on the unbuttered side of one slice of bread. Top with a slice of ham.
2. Add a spoonful of cranberry sauce. Drizzle with a few drops of balsamic vinegar.
3. Put the second slice of bread on top, buttered side out. Fry in a hot pan, pressing down with a fish slice, for two minutes on each side, until golden brown and the cheese is melting.
4. Cut in half and enjoy with a little cranberry sauce on the side.

5 Comments:

Serenacronin said...

Oh my God, looking at that Nessa makes me sooooo excited for St. Stephens Day!!

Aoife Mc said...

Oooh yum! I love leftover everything at Christmas. I'm visiting an American friend in the UK this weekend to celebrate Thanksgiving. So excited about having leftover turkey sambos over the weekend! And to see my friend, of course.

Sue/the view from great island said...

I've been living on grilled cheese and ham this fall. The Brie and cranberry sauce will just put it over the top!
I know what you mean about your mom I can say the same about mine. What a great gift to be given by a parent.

Brownieville Girl said...

Lovely sentiment, and delicious sandwich.

Nessa Robins said...

Thank you ladies for your lovely comments. Happy Thanksgiving!