Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Creamy Tomato & Spearmint Pasta Sauce
This is a really easy pasta sauce which can be served on it's own with pasta or ravioli. You can of course add some grilled chicken or even some oven roasted veg. I also pour this sauce over meatballs and serve with spaghetti. I would always recommend using fresh herbs as the taste is so much more superior than dried herbs. Basil can be used instead of the mint and rosemary for a classic Tomato and Basil sauce.
It is a basic sauce so the possibilities are endless.
750 ml (1¾ pints) passata or 2 x 400 g tins of tomatoes, liquidized
1 small onion, finely chopped
15 g (½ oz0 butter
250 ml (8 fl oz) vegetable stock or chicken stock
2 tablespoons freshly chopped spearmint
1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary
Salt, freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp sugar*
120 ml (4 fl oz) cream
1. Sweat the onion in the butter on a gentle heat until soft but not coloured.
2. Add the tomato purée (or chopped tinned tomatoes plus juice) and vegetable stock.
3. Add the chopped herbs, season with salt, freshly ground pepper and sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes.
4. Liquidize. Bring back to the boil, correct seasoning and add the cream.
5. Serve with pasta of your choice and grate over a little Parmesan.
*Tinned tomatoes need a good amount of sugar to counteract the acidity.